Monday, May 11, 2015

Amish Promises by Leslie Gould {A Book Review}


About two years ago when I started reviewing books, I had never really considered enjoying fiction books about the Amish culture. However, after reading several in the last couple of years, I would say that it is one of my favorite genres. Amish Promises by Leslie Gould just added to that love. 

I read this book in less than 3 days and had to make myself go to bed one night instead of reading the book all night long until I finished it. HAHA! 

This book (which the first of a series) tells the story of Shani, Joel and Zane who move to Lancaster, PA after Joel in injured in war. They move into Shani's grandfather's home which is across the field/road from the Lehman residence. The Lehman family consists of Tim, a widower, and his children and his sister, Eve, who is living with them to help care for the children. 

I couldn't get enough of this story as it intertwines the stories of Shani and Eve, Zane and the Lehman children and Tim and Joel as they all develop relationships and go through good and bad times. The culture of the Amish that is shared in the books is so intriguing and makes me want to read more and more about it. 

The best part of the story to me was seeing how the hard times presented in the book (injury, fire, etc.) made the characters look to God to solve their problems and in the end, it drew everyone together in this incredible way. 




No comments:

Post a Comment